Main DetailsTransmitted: BBC, 12 February 1974 - 07 May 1974
Episodes/Length: 13 x 15m
Repeated: June 1974 - Mid 1980s
Transmitted as part of Watch with Mother
Cast and CrewWritten by: Oliver Postgate
Produced by: Peter Firmin and Oliver Postgate
Directed by: Peter Firmin
Music by: John Faulkner and Sandra Kerr
Principal Cast: Emily Firmin, John Faulkner, Sandra Kerr and Oliver Postgate
BBC Cult Television
Buy from AmazonBagpuss - Complete [DVD]
- Emily sings "Bagpuss, dear Bagpuss, old fat furry catpuss, wake up and look at this thing that I bring. Wake up, be bright, be golden and light, Bagpuss, oh hear what I sing".
- There were six mice, called Charliemouse, Jenniemouse, Janiemouse, Lizziemouse, Eddiemouse and Williemouse.
- Bagpuss was originally meant to be a stripey, marmalade-coloured cat, but the fabric was more pink when it turned up from the manufacturer.
- One episode featured the mice running a chocolate biscuit mill, using the same biscuit to fool Professor Yaffle!
- The Bagpuss Shop was actually the rear of creator Peter Firmin's house.
- Emily, the little girl that runs the shop was Peter Firmin's daughter Emily.
- Professor Yaffle's full name is "Augustus Barclay Yaffle".
- Bagpuss was repeated 27 times between 1974 and 1993.
- If you look carefully at Professor Yaffle's feet, you will see the drawing pins that keep him standing up!
- Bagpuss came top in a 1999 BBC poll of the nation's favourite children's programmes, and came 4th in Channel 4's 2001 show 'The 100 Greatest Kids' TV Shows'.
- Bagpuss (or at least creator Oliver Postgate) was awarded an honorary MA degree in 1987 from the University of Kent.
Titles and Theme TuneYouTube - Opening Titles
Opening or Closing Lyrics
Last reviewed: 23/01/2008
© For the Children, 2004-2023